The territory has an area of 2050 Km2. You can have a look at the GEOMAP here.
The wide diversity of natural (geological, paleontological, astronomical and biological) and cultural resources (archaeological, architectural, culinary and intangible heritage) characterizes this space which we want to be part of the Global Geoparks Network.
This area has been a source of research for many companies, universities and institutions from different branches of Earth Science over the past 50 years.
In some relatively small valleys we find out explanation about:
- The discovery of important paleontological sites, which include dinosaur fossils.
- The geological landscapes that reflect the structures that formed the Pyrenees.
- The use of water and mining resources.
- The reproduction of geological scenarios in the research of the hydrocarbons.
- Research and dissemination of astronomy (Montsec Astrological Park), thanks to the quality of the dark sky.
- The archaeological sites that provide evidence of the human occupation of this territory since 200,000 years ago.
- Soils that reflect the diversity of mother rocks, active and recent geological and geomorphological processes, climates and microclimates, biological activity, including human activity.
Our territory integrates heritage values that make up its identity. The geographic area has got pre-Pyrenean and Pyrenean landscapes, rivers, gorges and culture to discover …
We are in an special area where the natural and cultural heritage have international recognition. If we all follow these recommendations, we could enjoy it for a long time:
- Rocks and fossils are protected and cannot take them.
- Respect your natural environment.
- Fossils, rocks, minerals and landscapes belong to the natural heritage as well as plants and animals.
For more information, please contact us